Rules & Regulations
Following rules and regulations have been listed for trekking pupose.
Restriction of Climbing the Himalayan-Peaks without Obtaining Permission:
No any mountaineering expedition team shall be entitled to climb any Himalayan-Peaks without obtaining permission under this Act.
Permission to be taken for Mountaineering:
- A mountaineering expedition team, desirous to climb any Himalayan-peak of the Kingdom of Nepal opened by Government of Nepal for mountaineering shall have to submit an application to Government of Nepal as prescribed.
- Government of Nepal may, if an application is received persuant to sub-section(1) and if it deems reasonable after making necessary examination there of, issue permit as prescribed.
- The condition to be fulfilled by the mountaineering expedition team obtaining permit for mountaineering shall be as prescribed.
Royalty to be paid for Mountaineering:
- The mountaineering expedition team, obtaining permit for mountaineering persuant to section 17, shall pay the prescribed royalty in the convertible foreign currencies for the specified altitude of Himalayan peak.
Provided that the royalty to be paid by a Nepalese mountaineering expedition team or by Nepalese side of a joint-mountaineering expedition team of Nepalese and foreigners may be paid in Nepalese currency.
- The royalty being paid by a mountaineering expedition team shall not be transferred for another mountaineering expedition team.
Route for Mountaineering:
- A mountaineering expedition team shall strictly use the route for mountaineering as prescribed in the permit issued by Government of Nepal.
- A prior approval of Government of Nepal shall have to be obtained in case the route of mountaineering is needed to change on account of natural or any other reasons.
Provided that, if it is indispensable to change the route on account of unexpected reasons, the reason thereof shall have to be informed as soon as possible to Government of Nepal through the Liason Officer.
- A Mountaineering expedition team, which has obtained a permit for mountaineering, shall have to include Liason Officer in such number of its team as Government of Nepal may depute.
- A Mountaineering expedition team shall have to provide with the facilities as prescribed for the Liaison Officer deputed for accompanying what the expedition team pursuant to sub-section (1) for the period commencing from the date of departure for mountaineering expedition to the date of arriving after completion of mountaineering at Kathmandu or any other place as specified by Government of Nepal.
- The functions, duties and powers of a Liaison Officer shall be as prescribed.
Provision relating to Sirdar, Mountain Guide, Base-Camp Workers, etc.
A mountaineering expedition team, may, while departing for mountaineering, take Sirdar, mountain-guides, base-camp-workers, altitude-workers and local-workers over to mountaineering expedition with it. The mountaineering team shall have to provide with the facilities as prescribed for such person accompanying with the
- expedition team for the period commencing from the date of departure for mountaineering expedition to the date of arriving after completion of mountaineering at Kathmandu or any other place as specified by Government of Nepal. Provided that the mountaineering expedition team shall take the workers in a number as prescribed with it.
- Base-camp-workers, altitude-workers or local-workers may be taken over to the expedition on the way if so required after departing for the mountaineering.
- Functions, duties and powers of the Sirdars, mountain-guides, base-camp-workers, altitude-workers and local-workers shall be as prescribed.
Nepalese Citizen Ought to be:
The Sirdars, mountain-guides, altitude-workers, base-camp-workers and local-workers should be the Nepalese citizens.
May be removed from work:
- The leader of the mountaineering expedition team, may in consultation with the Liason Officer remove any Sirdar, mountain-guide, altitude-worker, base-camp-worker from work in case any of such person’s work is not seemed satisfactory.If any person is removed from work before completion of the task of mountaineering persuant to sub-section(1) and person shall have to give back the materials which he had obtained as facilities to the mountaineering expedition team except the materials such as clothes, shoes etc. which has already been used by putting on his body.
- The mountaineering expedition team shall provide expenses required for returning from the place of removal of work to the place of employment to the person removed under sub-section(1).
Health check to be done:
- Before departing for mountaineering a mountaineering expedition team shall cause to check the health of members of its team, Liason Officer, Sirdar, Mountain-guide, Altitude-worker, Base-camp-worker and Local worker.
- A person whose health condition is not seemed satisfactory while checking up health persuant to sub-section (1) shall not be taken over to the mountaineering team.
Personal Accident insurance to be made:
- A mountaineering expedition team shall cause the lives of Liason Officers, Sirdars, mountain-guides, base-camp-workers and altitude workers to be insured with a prescribed insurer for a prescribed sum of its own cost against the risk of personal accident before engaging them.
Provided that, the personal accident insurance of local-workers shall not be compulsory.
- If a person, who is to be insured persuant to sub-section(1) dies of or sustains injury in an accident whilst on his duty, before being insured, on account of engaging him on the way or due to any other reason, the concerned mountaineering expedition team shall make a payment as compensation to his or his legal heir the amount of money equal to the amount to be insured as if he were insured.
- If a Local-worker, whilst on his duty, dies of or sustains injury in an accident, the concerned mountaineering expedition team shall compensate to him or his legal heir persuant to sub-section (2) in case such person was not being insured.
Explanation: for the purpose of this Chapter:
(a) “Accident” shall include any disease or ailment causing on accident of snow or altitude.
(b) “Whilst on his duty” shall include the period between the date and place of commitment to engage or employ and the date of return at the same place after completion of the task.